This time, I know where the list originated: Poppy Buxom. (And I was reminded of it by Anna.)
Books I'm Amazed Nobody Ever Made Me Read
Anything by... Dickens, Austen, Joyce, the Brontes, Faulkner
Any of those dark, depressing Russian books
(If it's a classic, I probably haven't read it.)
Books I've Never Been Interested in Reading
Anything highbrow. If it's Literature, I'm not terribly interested.
Anything having to do with abusive relationships.
I'll read most genre fiction, although I'm not keen on western, military, or historical novels.
I don't read a lot of nonfiction for pleasure, either, except travel memoirs.
Books I Never Managed to Finish
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury -- It's the first book I didn't finish reading. There have been others since then, including some of the books on the previous book list, but it's the first. Since I'm a compulsive reader, it was very difficult to give myself permission not to finish it. It's still on my bookshelf however, so ...
Books I Finished and Liked Quite a Bit, Although Going Into It, I Felt Extremely Wary
I haven't been able to think of any in this category, but I suppose I started out wary of anything that I was required to read in school. The only book I read for school that I ended up liking was To Kill a Mockingbird.
Books for which the quip "Kill me. Now." was invented
1,000 Acres by Jane Smiley
The Two Towers by J.R.R.Tolkien (all that walking and bad poetry; I thought it would never end)
Books they made me read so often I hated both the books and them
The only book I was made to read more than once, that I can recall, is the aforementioned Gabriela, which I actually like.
One of those weird things about me: Because I grew up in a rural place, the nearest public library wasn't real near by. As a result, I was stuck mostly re-reading whatever books I owned or could borrow from neighbors over the summer, when I couldn't borrow books from the school library. We didn't own a lot of books. I can't tell you how many times I re-read the Little House and Nancy Drew books. One consequence of this is that I tend to forget the details of what I've read, particularly in novels, fairly quickly. To this day, I re-read a lot of books, which some of my friends think is completely bizarre. On the other hand, I can usually remember where I've read something and go back to it fairly quickly.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Another Book Meme
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lol, my answer to the first question would have been exactly the same. ;)
Post a Comment