Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A False Start

How many of you know this story? You have every good intention. You pull out the threads, the fabric, the pattern, and all your stitching tools. You put in a few hours of stitching and decide you have a disaster on your hands. Well, I have one.

I chose a 36 count flax linen to start my Peace 2001 project. The directions called for 40 count and one-over-one stitching. I stitched the lamb's face and ears. I tried stitching the white, but it disappeared into the fabric. I started the brown, and then realized I'd messed up one of the ears. I tried to stitch the yellow following the recommended directions of basketweave rather than row stitching. Then I noticed that I'd stitched too far with the yellow, touching the brown tail at the bottom. AND it was taking me for-ev-er to stitch because, even in good light, I was having trouble finding the holes.

Nothing about this project was making me happy. I don't have time to waste on stitching that's frustrating. So on my third day of picking this up, I finally decided enough is enough. It was time to abandon this project.

False start - March 17

But not completely. I decided what I needed was a different fabric. I traded in the 36 count for a 28 count. I stitched the face again, still one-over-one. I quickly decided that wasn't enough thread coverage, so I went back over the face, creating two-over-one, and voila, I had a project I liked again! I stitched this up in half the time of the previous attempt.

New start - March 24

Life is so much better when I like what I'm stitching. And when I can see what I'm doing.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I know how that goes. I am stitching on 40 ct. now and I'm not entirely certain the colors are going to work, but I'm keeping at it. And it's not even for me - it's for my cousin's housewarming gift. I am hoping I love how it turns out, but then I will be sad to give it away. But yes, I totally get needing to completely restart something so you aren't tempted to burn it.