Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recording Projects

The Stitching Bloggers Question for this month is:

Do you keep records of your finishes? We are so lucky to have so many record-keeping tools at our disposal to record our accomplishments. So if you do, what recording methods do you use? What do you think is important to record when you've finished a design?

When I first started stitching, I had a small yellow spiral-bound notebook into which I recorded information about my projects. Name, designer, who is was for, start date, finish date, and any comments about the project. Since I was mostly stitching with Aida and DMC, I didn't record fabric or thread.

I'm sad to say that I have no idea where that notebook went. It's probably still in the house. It probably didn't get updated once I moved here to DC in 1999. It'd be fun to go back and review the projects I did.

This blog, which I started at the end of 2007, is now the record of my projects. It's incomplete, but it's what I have. I keep the same information as before, plus fabric and thread details.

I would say that I'm a bad archivist, by not keeping a record of my projects, but the job of the archivist is to preserve records, not to create them.

1 comment:

Anna van Schurman said...

"the job of the archivist is to preserve records, not to create them." Cop out!