One of my big pet peeves is poorly run meetings. There's really no excuse for not running a good meeting. In my last job, I received kudos for holding efficient meetings. I was really surprised, because all I did was follow a few basic rules, but it was a novelty in that organization.
I just sat in on a conference call for a volunteer group to which I belong. This group has been hit or miss in the past on whether it's a good meeting or a poke-my-eye-out-with-a-stick meeting. Tonight it was mostly on target, but it's what made me think to post.
In case you're wondering, here is my version of the rules for running a good meeting.
1. Have a leader and a secretary. They must be two different people. One's job is to lead the meeting, the other's is to take notes. One person cannot do both jobs effectively, and it's distracting to the participants to watch the leader taking notes.
2. Have a focused agenda and distribute it ahead of time. Let everyone know what you're there to accomplish. Include who's going to address each topic if that's appropriate. If it's going to be a long meeting or have many topics, assign time limits. In the meeting, follow the agenda and stick to the timeline. Yes, there will be tangents, but it's easier to bring everyone back to the main topic by saying, "We only have two more minutes to discuss XYZ." Don't be afraid to end the meeting early if you're finished. I hate when people will insist on filling the remaining allotted time for no good reason.
3. Know when to take something "off-line" and when it's important enough to the business at hand to warrant adding it to the agenda. This is especially critical when someone is trying to be a barrier. And if things are deteriorating, stop the meeting and reconvene at a different time. Do this once or twice and the inconvenience factor will help keep things more settled in the future. When you do add something to the agenda, make sure you're clear on what may need to be tabled to free up the appropriate amount of time.
4. Follow up. Make sure the minutes and any action items or assignments are distributed quickly. I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I get when I get the minutes from last month two days before this month's meeting, especially when I find in the middle of page four that I've been tasked to do something. Also check with participants to see how things are going and if they need any clarification of or assistance with their tasks.
What do you see in effective meetings? What drives you nuts in bad ones?
6 comments:
You see, you're ORGANISED. This is one of those rare qualities that for those who possess it, it is as obvious as breathing, but for those that don't, it's as obvious as cunieform script.
It's the same as always knowing which way is North even if it's weeks since you last saw a compass
dare you to post this in a few selected conference rooms :)
It boggles my mind that people who have no clue as to how to run effective meetings continue to hold them. Surely there are more people like us than there are of them?
Lee - we'll have to start a group, Meeting Bitches of America, or something. I get quite cranky at the disorganized and late folks too.
Kim - Yes, organization is a skill, just like teaching, but fortunately, it is one that can be developed. I'm good with the North thing, until I come up from the subway.
BA - I would dearly love to post them here and at our partners' location in GB. The partners rules need to have included the following: don't run marathon meetings; if you do hold marathon meetings, then allow for regular breaks; be realistic about what can be accomplished in the timeframe given; and, above all else, if you're going to order lunch in, do it ahead of time so lunch isn't served at 2 pm and ASK WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO EAT instead of assuming.
Your guide makes too much sense. Clearly you have no future in management.
Love it! Great rules.
You're the new "Robert's Rule of Order".
Archivalist -- now you know why I left my last job. I was too efficient for the management.
Geggie -- I'm *so* glad that I don't have to follow RRO most of the time. It gets too complicated very quickly.
Post a Comment