This is essentially my take on vegetable soup with sausage. I never make it quite like this, as I adjust it to throw in whatever vegetables I might have on hand, especially the ones that aren't the freshest from the back of the fridge. The trick, though, is to add cabbage or broccoli to give the soup some body.
2 spicy Italian sausage links
1/2 a medium onion, diced
a box of low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cans mixed vegetables, drained and well-rinsed *
1 cup of shredded cabbage or broccoli **
Italian spices
1 cup macaroni (elbows or shells or something that size)
1 can kidney beans, drained and well-rinsed
Cut the sausage into bite sized pieces. Saute in a large soup pot for 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion and continue cooking until the meat is cooked through and the onion is translucent. Add the broth, tomatoes, vegetables, cabbage, and spices. Add enough water to cover, if needed. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the pasta, and simmer until the cabbage and pasta are cooked. Add the kidney beans and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the beans are heated through.
* I usually use one can of vegetables and a cup or two of fresh, diced vegetables.
** I use a large handful of pre-shredded cole slaw or broccoli slaw.
No comments:
Post a Comment