Monday, May 11, 2009

Redefining Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day, and my first one as a mother. It was not what I had envisioned. Yes, there were the usual flowers, jewelry, and brunch, but these aren't things I necessarily get excited about. And I had to spend a good portion of the day with my MIL and SIL, neither of which I have much in common with. I had a whole discussion this morning with a coworker of mine about this, as she too had to spend a day in activities that weren't really of her choosing. We seem stuck in a model for Mother's Day based on previous generations' desires, which don't particularly apply to our modern lives. For instance, I don't feel like a kitchen slave (yet?), so going out for brunch, while nice, isn't exactly a special treat.

Even so, I had a good day yesterday, despite my initial trepidation. My MIL watched the girls for us in the morning, so I could sleep in and DH could a bit too. After brunch, my BIL came over to help DH install a mammouth window-unit air conditioner. As there was going to be much cursing involved, I escaped the house with the girls and went to the local park.

I truly enjoyed watching the girls at the park. They just turned 9 months old, and this weekend was the first time that they'd been out of their stroller in the park and on the grass. They were fascinated by everything -- the grass, the dirt, the feel of the blanket on their feet, the other kids, the cars, and most especially the dogs. It was fun to watch them discover the world around them.

So it wasn't the day I would have planned, but it all turned out OK.

In other news, the Social Security Administration released the 2008 list of popular baby names. I've been fascinated by this list for years, because I'm curious about names, and I viewed this over and over again as we were trying to come up with names for the girls. I was aiming for names that were in that middle ground between completely overused and too unusual or old-fashioned. Both of the names are at all time highs now on the list, with DDA's name climbing a little higher than I'd like. She may end up being "A in DC" in school, rather than just "A". L's unlikely to run into that problem, but we'll see. In high school, I was one of two C's in my grade, which wasn't surprising, although the fact that we only had one Jennifer was.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Extra sleep. Time at the park with babies exploring their new world. I think it sounds like a darn good way to celebrate Mothers Day.

Von said...

Sounds like a nice Mother's Day to me! One thing I've learned is that you need to let your family know, one way or another, what you'd like or are expecting on that day. Some kids are great at planning surprises, but mine haven't a clue what to do. :)