Thursday, April 30, 2009

Love and Hate and Authors

This week's Booking through Thursday question: Which is worse? Finding a book you love and then hating everything else you try by that author, or reading a completely disappointing book by an author that you love?

For me, the answer is easy. The second one. I will usually drop an author quickly if his or her books don't keep meeting my expectations. If I've come to love an author, though, it's hard to let go. I find this to be particularly true of authors who have been writing for a while and who begin to earn enough money that their editors stop editing and just push to get the books to market. It's disappointing all the way around.

The example that comes to mind is the later Elizabeth Peter novels. I actually threw one of them against the wall one summer - a signed hard copy, mind you - because I was so angry with what she'd done. I must admit that I did buy at least one or two more after that, but I know that there have been later releases that I haven't.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally, it's so frustrating to see a good author have their crappy books being shoved through to continue to make millions of dollars when the book is in the end not really that good.

Melody said...

I too, agree. It feels as tho you've been let down, when a favorite author releases a book that doesn't begin to measure up to others by them.

I am a librarian, and will go ahead and purchase a book for our collection, even if the review isn't 'stellar' when we have most all of the others by that author. I always wonder if the reviewer is having a bad day, or something like that. I'm not willing to forgo reading it, because I don't always agree with reviewers for books or movies.

Jess said...

Nothing is worse than when a series goes down hill or an author decides to phone it in.

Yoyo said...

Popping in to WELCOME you to the Totally Useless SAL but I have to comment (I'm such a book nut) I HATE IT when my favorite authors write a bad book. That's happened to me several times but two very memorable occasions. While I don't think anything would ever make be throw a book against the wall, I sure did think about it.

So anyway, WELCOME, have fun and I'll be back to read more of your blog when my eyes can spend a few more minutes at the computer screen.