Thursday, May 21, 2009

Second Time Around

Booking through Thursday asks this week: What book would you love to be able to read again for the first time?

This is an interesting question for me. I often re-read books. As a child, I only owned a few books and would re-read them each summer, and, as a result, I tend to forget the details of books fairly quickly so that I can enjoy them again. But, I still know that I enjoyed them the previous time, and, therefore, anticipate enjoying them again.

Ideally, what I would like is to experience the sense of wonder I had the first time I read many classics of my childhood. Reading them for the first time now as an adult wouldn't be the same as reading them in junior high. This would include books like A Wrinkle in Time; The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; and The Eqypt Game. Even The Secret Garden. Books I came to later, but that still gave me that same sense of discovering something new, are the first Harry Potter book, The Blue Sword, and The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1964. There will always be something magical to me about children's and young adult books that tends to be missing in adult books.

1 comment:

Anthea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.