Today's fashion topic - Suits!
The weather here in DC has been brutally hot the past week - in the mid-90s with high humidity. We had thunderstorms the other night that lowered both the temp and the humidity, but not by much.
Today, my hubby is giving a presentation at work, which meant wearing a full suit. Undershirt, dress shirt, wool-blend suit, etc. You get the idea. While I'll admit that he looks nice in a suit and that this is an occasion that calls for one, I continue to wonder at our culture's adherance to tradition. Is it *really* appropriate to expect people to wear full dress suits in the middle of summer? (And don't get me started on full-length hosiery for women.)
Planet Green was running a commercial over the weekend about how dressing more appropriately is more environmentally friendly, because then we can all adjust the A/C to a higher temperature rather than having to chill to accomodate business wear. While their method of displaying this was a bit extreme (two people naked as jaybirds, talking with one person dressed in business wear, complete with sweater vest), their point was one that I've often considered.
What are your thoughts on this?
3 comments:
I had to wear a suit for work the other day during the worst of the humidity. I willed myself cool and I looked less sweaty than some of the underdressed people in the city. At least a little ;)
A/C use for me has nothing to do with being hot. I need to run it to take the humidity out of the air. With my asthma it's not the heat, it's the humidity. (Why did I leave L.A.?) So the greeny people can take a bite out of my bottom.
I had an interview the other day and the agency recommended I wear a conservative suit for it. I decided against it because of the heat and went with a tailored blouse and trousers instead. Much better. Also, I've worked at the place I interviewed before and I know the dress is pretty casual there anyway, and the people interviewing me? Pretty casual as well.
Part of this is that I just hate wearing suits. They have just about the most unflattering shape for my body, and I think that most do not flatter women at all. When I can, I try to find tailored suit-dresses if I know I'm going to have to wear a suit-like outfit.
Post a Comment