In my house, Brussels sprouts are fondly known as "the little green balls of death". Neither DH or I like them, although I could be tempted by this recipe.
So, five or more years ago, DH got this idea. When kids come to trick or treat, he would ask them if they wanted a "trick" or a "treat". If they said "treat", they received the usual candy. If they said "trick", well, they received a Brussels sprout.
The first year he did this, I was very nervous. I thought we might get a lot of upset kids or parents, and I was afraid our house might get pelted with Brussels sprouts. One of the rules we quickly adopted was that no kid under 6 got the Brussels sprouts. We felt that they were just too young to understand the joke.
To my surprise, the parents found this outrageously funny. Only one parent in the 5 or so years has been upset with us, and only one couldn't identify a Brussels spout. The 7-12 year old boys are the ones who are the most curious about what the "trick" might be and will try to talk their siblings or friends into the "trick" so they can see what it is. We either get a perplexed look or an "ewww" from the recipients. We had one girl near tears this year, so I relented and gave her some candy as well.
Halloween is a big event in my neighborhood. One street a couple of blocks over is the main drag for all of those in search of treats. The kids who come to our door are mostly from other neighborhoods and only stop as they are on their way to or from the other event. We like to think that our trick breaks up the routine a bit for them. I don't know if we've ever had repeat customers.
No comments:
Post a Comment