Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reading List

My local alumnae reading group has posted its reading list for the next year. I'm excited about many of the titles on the list, but given my daily life, it's unlikely that I'll be able to participate with the group much this year. I'm just hoping that I will get to read some of these eventually.

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett - October
My Life in France by Julia Child - November
Olive Kittredge by Elizabeth Strout - December
Infidel by Ayann Hirsi Ali - January
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan - February
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery - March
I Do Not Come to You By Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani - April
The Help by Kathryn Stockett - May
West with the Night by Beryl Markham - June
The Snakehead by Patrick Radden Keefe - July
Leaving India: My Family's Journey from Five Villages to Five Continents by Minal Hajratwala - August
A Pearl in the Storm by Tori Murden McClure - September

There were a couple of other books they considered but didn't choose that I'm also interested in. They are:

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz
My Body, Their Baby by Laurie Miller
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Have any of you read any of these? What did you think?

4 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I don't think I've read any of them, but I am unsurprised that you are reading Julia Child! ;)

Unknown said...

McClure is also an alumna.

Von said...

I recently read "The Help" and thought it an excellent book.

Susan said...

I can recommend The Uncommon Reader, Loving Frank, Admission and Prep. The Uncommon Reader won't take you long and it's great fun about the Queen of England. I posted on my blog how I was surprised at how much I liked Loving Frank, but also a bit depressed about what life was like for women of that era. I have a daughter who is applying to highly competitive colleges so Admission was fascinating and scary on that level, but had a strong theme about what "admission" is--letting something in as well as letting something out, and what we chose to admit to ourselves. Prep is also a good story and well-written. I liked it so much better than Sittenfeld's more recent novel, The American Wife.