Thursday, June 4, 2009

Stuck on 15

This week's Booking Through Thursday question is: “This can be a quick one. Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you’ve read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.”

Here are mine in the order in which I remembered them. I've included information about when I read them, because there are patterns. I plan to do a follow up post to discuss why some of these stick.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (11th grade)
2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (7th grade)
3. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier (11th grade)
4. Crazy for You by Jennifer Crusie (post grad school)
5. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (college)
6. A Separate Piece by John Knowles (7th grade)
7. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (college)
8. Patriot's Dream by Barbara Michaels (college)
9. Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (post grad school)
10. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley (grad school)
11. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (7th grade)
12. The Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (4th grade)
13. Little Mommy by Sharon Kane (pre-school)
14. The Little Golden Books' version of Jingle Bells (pre-school)
15. Gabriela, Cravo e Canela by Jorge Amado (college)

7 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I have a few of the same ones as you on my list LOL

http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2009/06/booking-through-thursday-books-that.html

Novroz said...

I've only read the Hobbits, To Kill a Mockingbird is still in my searching list.

Donna said...

Good list. Especially including the Little Golden Book which can no longer legally be sold in the USA.

Donna said...

Whoops. Maybe I'd better explain that comment. No children's books printed before a certain date are being resold because of lead content. There's a nice explanation on snopes.com.

sprite said...

Good choices! I meant to include A Wrinkle in Time, but it flitted through my head faster than my fingers could grab it! And I couldn't decide on a particular Little House book to include; it didn't occur to me just to put down the whole series!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting! I was surprised by how often some of the books I listed appeared on other people's lists, particularly To Kill A Mockingbird.

Donna - thanks for the clarification; I didn't realize that the ban extended to books too.

Sprite - I can't remember which book is which at this point, since I don't think I've read them since I started college.

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love the Little House Books. And was excited to buy the complete set for my 18-month old niece when she was our flower girl. A little young, I know, but I couldn't wait any longer. Now that she's 7, she's better able to appreciate them.